Robert Salas Nuclear Tampering CHD 4-30

CHD Statement – Robert Salas1

Citizens Hearing on Disclosure Statement
Robert L. Salas
April 30, 2013

I would first like to briefly describe the incident that I experienced in March 1967. At that time I was a first lieutenant, U.S. Air Force stationed at Malmstrom AFB, Montana. I was trained and assigned duties as a missile launch officer for the Minuteman I Intercontinental Ballistic missile. I was designated Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander and part of a two-man crew. My commander at that time was Lt. Frederick Miewald. I will briefly review the diagrams showing the configuration of a Launch Control Center and Launch Facility. [Show graphic of LCF/LF] We were on duty inside the Oscar Launch Control Center, a concrete capsule located about sixty-feet underground. We had operational control over ten Minuteman I nuclear missiles. Each missile operates independently and has its own source of primary and backup power systems. It is important to note that, the command and control for these missiles was entirely located within the capsule. There was absolutely no means to affect any of the missile systems from the outside the capsule.

On the evening of March 24, 1967, while my commander was on a scheduled rest period, I received the first of two phone calls from by topside Flight Security Controller (FSC). The first call was to report unidentified lighted objects flying above the facility. Minutes later, the FSC phoned again and reported, in a very agitated state, that there was a large oval-shaped, glowing, red-colored object hovering silently directly above the front gate of our facility. All of the security guards had their weapons trained on the object and they were awaiting my orders. I simply told them not to allow anything inside the perimeter-fenced area. Immediately after that call as I started to inform my commander about the incident, our missiles began to shut down. We lost alert status on all ten missiles while this object was above our facility. When we queried the fault system, all missiles reported “Guidance and Control System Failure.” At the same time, we had indicator lights showing security
violations at two of the Launch Facilities (LF) where the missiles were physically located. While Lt. Miewald reported the incident to the Wing Command Post, I phoned upstairs and directed that Security Alert Teams be sent to those LFs with security violations to investigate.

At that time, The FSC reported to me that the object had flown off at high speed. When the Security Alert Team (SAT) arrived at the affected LFs, they reported seeing the object hovering over those sites. As they approached closer to the object, they lost all communication with the FSC. After speaking to the Wing Command Post, Lt. Miewald informed me that the same thing happened at another flight. As I found out later, that incident happened eight days earlier on March 16 at Echo flight. [MIEWALD AUDIO] In that incident all ten missiles were also disabled during UFO sightings over the launch facilities. The involvement of UFOs at the Echo launch facilities before and during the shutdown of Echo flight has been verified by Col. (ret.) Walter Figel, the Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander (DMCCC) during the incident. I will play an audio clip from our conversation in 1996. [FIGEL AUDIO]

After we were relieved by another crew the next morning and arrived back at the base, we reported to our Squadron Commander’s office. There we were ordered to sign ‘non- disclosure’ statements regarding our specific incident and that we were not to speak to anyone about it. It was then designated a highly classified incident. At no time did we lose power during the incident. The Sensitive Information Network (SIN) cables that carried signals to the missile systems were triple-shielded from electro-magnetic interference. The preliminary investigation isolated the failure to the logic coupler of each missile. The logic coupler is associated with the missile guidance system. I refer you to a portion of the Wing Unit History document that states, “The opinion of the team was that external generated signals caused the generation of these two channels and shutdown of the launch facilities. The possibility of this is very remote due to the fact that all 10 couplers would have to fail in the flight within a few seconds of each other.” [Show graphic of page from UNIT WING HISTORY] This statement confirms that signals were sent to each individual missile separately in order to disable them. From my knowledge of the operating system at the time neither I, nor the investigative team could define the method or means by which these

signals were sent to disable the missiles, each in the same manner.
Mr. Robert Kaminski was the Boeing team leader for the investigation of the Echo Flight shutdown. In a response to our inquiry, he stated “…this kind of event is virtually impossible once the system was up and running…The team met with me to report their findings and it was decided that the final report would have noting significant in it to explain what happened at E-Flight.” After meeting with his engineers to discuss the results of their investigation, Mr. Kaminski was notified by his supervisor that he should not submit his final report because the incident was reported to be a UFO event. Even though the Boeing Company was the principal contractor for the Minuteman I missile systems, their report on the incident was not submitted by request from the Air Force. However the Air Force did perform their own, classified investigation where they identified a possible failure mode as stated above. In my opinion we did not have the technical capability to produce a machine, then or now, that would be able to instigate the failure mode of these missiles identified in the Unit Wing History. In addition, the unidentified objects displayed physical and flight characteristics that no known aircraft type could achieve, then or now. Therefore, I have concluded that the objects were non-terrestrial in origin.
On December 17, 1969, the official U.S. Air Force investigation into the UFO phenomenon was terminated. The principal basis given for this termination was the evaluation of a report prepared by the University of Colorado entitled, “Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects.” In August 1966, the U.S. Air Force awarded a half-million dollar contract to the University of Colorado for the purpose of studying the UFO phenomenon. I will refer to this study as the Condon Investigation for its team leader, Dr. Edward Condon. In fact, it was never intended to be a scientific study because the Air Force did not propose that any scientific hypothesis regarding the phenomenon be evaluated. The Condon team relied on input and evaluations of reported UFO incidents from Air Force officers at various bases. The Condon team was, except for one individual, not authorized to review classified reports of

Air Force incidents regarding the phenomenon. They were not even informed that classified UFO files existed until after the termination of their study.
With respect to the 1967 Echo and Oscar Flight UFO incidents, there was a deliberate effort to keep information about those incidents from the Condon investigators. In August 1967, Dr. Roy Craig, the chief investigator for the Condon team was informed by Mr. Raymond Fowler, a contractor working for Sylvania on Minuteman electrical system, that the Echo Flight shutdown at Malmstrom AFB had occurred during a UFO sighting. In October 1967, he visited Malmstrom AFB to inquire about this report. Dr. Craig recalls this inquiry with Lt. Col. Lewis Chase, the Base Operations Officer: “After Colonel Chase and I had exchanged pleasantries in his office, I asked him about the Echo incident. The Colonel caught his breath, and expressed surprise that I knew of it. ‘I can’t talk about that’ (he said). …Colonel Chase had assured me that the incident had not involved a UFO. Since Colonel Chase was the last man I would doubt when he conveyed this information, I accepted the information as factual, and turned the review (of the report of the incident) over to Bob Low, who had received security clearance to read secret information related to the UFO study.” When Dr. Robert Low, the deputy to Dr. Condon, requested the Air Force to allow him to review the secret report on the Echo Flight incident, he was informed that the report would be too highly classified to allow that review. Dr. Craig did not interview any of the many witnesses that could have informed him about the Echo and Oscar incidents.

In addition, the Air Force office of Project Blue Book was deliberately dis-informed about these incidents. In a letter from Col. James Manatt, Director of Technology/UFO, Wright Patterson AFB to Lt. Col. Lewis Chase in June 1967, he inquired about reports they had received that there were “equipment malfunctions and abnormalities” during the UFO sightings. The written reply from Col. Chase stated “This office has no knowledge of equipment malfunctions and abnormalities in equipment during the period of reported UFO sightings.”

This is evidence that the Air Force purposefully denied the Condon investigators the knowledge that the Echo and Oscar flight shutdowns were UFO related incidents. Since the Air Force cites this particular study as the primary reason for their official rejection of the UFO phenomenon and claims that “No UFO reported, investigated and evaluated by the Air Force was ever an indication of threat to our national security”, and, in light of my own experience and others, I must conclude that the U.S. Air Force was and is engaged in lying and dis-informing the public about the reality of the UFO phenomenon.
I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about my statement to the best of my ability.